Saturday, August 18, 2012

the week...

We finished our art project! Mmmm I guess that must have been last week BUT we finally got around to hanging it up yesterday, and it looks great! If we finished off our look with a few blue-ish green-ish teal-ish patterned (or solid) pillows, it would look picture perfect:


So, where to start? A full week of work + visitors around + Hendrik updates + pregnancy updates + more (I'm sure) leaves me with a few things to write about. I'll start with this, because it's fresh: I had my patience seriously tested this morning... seriously. Hendrik is in this new stage where he wants to do so many things by himself which - don't get me wrong - is fabulous, but he'll only actually do what he insists on doing mmmm maybe three-quarters of the time. (Yes, I know I blogged about this last time - it's happening again...) "Hendrik do it Hendrik do it" (frantic) with a side of mini-tantrum + okay try again + coaxing + encouragement + sternness, then okay your time is up I'm doing it for you is followed by the same deal once more. This morning I took him to a playgroup and we went through the aforementioned routine several times with several different actions... before we even got to the car. Sigh. There was much more of the same, before and after playgroup, and then some more after lunch. Aghgh! Oh well. It's all part of the learning process, for us and for him... right? But then, just before or just after the most frustrating of moments, Hendrik will do something or say something or just be a certain way and it's the most precious thing, how he is, what he says and does that it makes me teary with love. Really.


Steve's parents and his sister and her husband Freddy were visiting all week, and since I was coaching, Steve and Marg took Hendrik to his eye appointment on Tuesday morning. He's made more progress strengthening his left eye, and we're to keep up with stickering (/patching) for the time being. He's still on the wait-list for the surgery (Strabismus Repair) and I imagine that he'll be in to have it done some time in the spring when we're back from China. And if you're interested in an update on that front, it looks like Steve will be leaving the third week of September, and we'll follow hopefully by the end of October (no tickets booked yet). We shall see...

So yes - at 38 weeks pregnant I survived a week of coaching (!!). Days weren't too long (8:30ish-4:00ish), and I managed to limit myself to inputting free balls (okay okay and a few down balls and a few serves) and talk talk talk talking. It was a great group of athletes, the coaches were awesome (all-female staff) and the camp was run so so well; I've worked this camp in Calgary before and had a great experience once more. And, for the most part I felt great; there were some days that I felt good enough to jump into a drill or demo a skill (but didn't, obviously), and then there were other days when I had to really remind myself to sit down. After day one of being on my feet (and not sitting down very much), I came home and had to park it on the couch for a few hours; baby was sitting soooo low and my belly was heavy-heavy. However, I was determined to make it through the week - to enjoy five days of doing my own thing - and feel pretty lucky that I felt good enough to do so with just two weeks to go before my due date (August 30). It was great coming home to meals and family, and nice too for Steve to have the company throughout the week. I didn't miss Hendrik too much during the day (while staying busy), but was so so happy to see him when I got home. Everyone else stayed busy with trips to the Museum of Science and Technology, the Experimental Farm, the Byward Market and more. And the four thirty-somethings even got away for a dinner out on Tuesday night which was amazing; the Wellington Gastropub served up some delicious fare - all four of us ordered an appetizer, a main and a dessert... needless to say we left feeling quite full.

I know there's more to write about but I need to make a list and then cross some things off of that list: Order books. Tidy clutter. Meal-plan. Rest. Maybe I'll start with that.....

No comments: